[TriLUG] Earthlink Tech Support

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 11:20:31 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:45:38 -0500, Rick DeNatale
<rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you think the average number of support employees per customer is?

Answer:  1 employee per 1000 customers, probably

> What do you think the average length of a support call is?

Answer: 8 minutes.  Mine, however, usually averaged 12-15, but I had
one of the best customer satisfaction scores in the support group, so
they let me slide a little on the call times.

As for the rest of this thread, well, that guy was probably cutting
and pasting canned answers, or using some new tool they've developed.
When I worked for Mindspring tech support, they had a great internal
website full of support info, everything from screenshot/image mapped
walkthroughs of the config screens of dozens of applications to an
internal knowledgebase for support employees.  It helped us have one
of the best rated support groups in the industry at the time.

I, too, had an interesting Earthlink chat session recently.  Helping
out my wife's client get his email account set up from work, I got the
most condescending support employee on the face of the planet, and
told him so.  Since I'm sure that some of each tech's chats are logged
at random, I made sure to put what I thought of his style in the chat,
so that if he supervisor reads it, he'll know how lousy he was.  I
know that when I worked for Mindspring, they randomly listened in on
our calls, at least n per week, and talked to us about the stuff they
heard, trying to improve us.  Hopefully, that jackhole's supervisor
will read that chat with me and raise the pimp hand on him.