[TriLUG] CR/LF

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 15:08:50 EST 2005

I have a customer that sends files to my ftp site (currently on a
Windows Server box) from his Mac platform.  The files are nothing
special, just delimited text files. However they can be very large.
(i.e. 100,000 records or 75MB)  The problem is this:  When I switched
the ftp server to my Linux box, my Windows conversion programs no
longer worked.  After much looking, I found the reason was that the
files sent from the Mac had each line in the data termintated with a
hex '0A'.  When placed on the windows box the file magically converted
itself somehow to have a '0D' '0A', asc(13) asc(10), or cr/lf pair
terminating each line. So, to make my long story short, when I
download files from my Windows box, my VB programs can use them, but
when I download them from my Linux server my programs crash. (Because
of the missing '0D'  -  VB wants to have a line terminated by a cr/lf
to use the LINE INPUT command.)  What do you think would be the
easiest, and most importantly *non-interactive* way to handle this
problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Mark.

------
"I told them I'd ridden shooting stars and said I'd show them how..." --Ozzy