[TriLUG] OT - AM reception

ALFRED JOHNSON alfjon at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 26 04:02:52 EST 2005

Well, first things first.  You would be wise to purchase a decent
communications receiver which will cost you about $80-100.  A
communications grade receiver will have components such as an RF
amplifier a better IF stage and lots of circuits which can pull out
weak radio signals while using a very modest antenna. You can only find
these radios primarily in ham radio catalogues (although sometimes they
can be found at more expensive local distributors).  But having said
this in radio antennas are the best way to get great  signals at the
lowest cost, but you shouldn't just throw a random piece of wire or
metal up in the air.  There are do it yourself antenna books which have
antenna designs suitable for any need or location.  Again you can find
lots of antenna books only at one of our local hamfests, which Tri-lug
usually attends to advertise Linux. Our local hamfests start up in
April and May and July, which are usually announced at all Tri-lug
meetings. Remember building great antennas is a extremely demanding
thing to do.  You can build them out of junk, but you must know what
you're doing.  73, KQ4FP  -- Al Johnson.