[TriLUG]IPOD on Linux

paul ppeeler at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 12:45:56 EST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:26:05 -0500, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> > Well if it doesn't support it well, then it won't pass the WAF(Wife
> > Acceptance Factor).
>
> Convert the wife's PC to Linux, and then load vmware or qemu
> to run the few remaining Windows apps that she's hooked on.
>
> I'm not sure how well vmware will handle connecting to an ipod.
> I had trouble accessing USB devices directly from Windows within
> a vmware sandbox.  Something about Linux drivers grabbing the
> device as soon as I pluged it in.

You have one alternative that I can not say I have tested. The latest
version of crossover office http://www.codeweavers.com/ allows you to
run itunes in the codeweaver's wine implementation (along with a lot
of other apps), which may give you what you want.

Another option is Rhythmbox in linux to allow (for now) read access to
the ipod. They are working on full-functionality at the moment.

As well, there are other projects to consider.  gtk-pod for instance.

Here are some instructions for using the ipod with linux only:
http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~adonovan/hacks/ipod.html

Hope this helps you in your search.

Paul