[TriLUG] Cisco PIX 515

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 17:00:20 EST 2005

I have a cisco PIX 515 firewall running OS 6.0.  I'm trying to get it
to allow PPTP pass through, but am coming up empty.  I'm connecting to
a Windows VPN which I can't change, although I was first trying to
connect with pptpclient for linux so this is On Topic!  That kept
failing so I tried to connect from a win box and got the same results.
 I'm almost positive the PIX is to blame as there is no error on the
VPN server (in fact, no indication a connection was even made)  but I
am able to connect fine from inside the network using the same
pptpclient config on a different machine, but that's pretty much
useless to me as I want to connect from home.

Does anyone know how to configure that?  From all I've read on the
net, I need a newer version of the OS, but haven't been able to find
it anywhere.  I'm hoping someone just knows how to enable the
passthrough as trying to purchase OS upgrades from Cisco has always
been a nightmare.  I've opened up port 1723 on the pix and can telnet
to it fine, not that I know what to type once I get to the prompt.

Any suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve