[TriLUG] Managed & Unmanaged switches

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 2 10:49:28 EST 2005

No flawed reasoning here. Your setup works in the real world as well as
in theory... but if you are going to segregate your traffic anyway you
really don't need any managed switches.

Buy a nice router (or build a nice firewall) that has two NIC's in it -
one that connects to your switch with VoIP phones and the other that
connects to the switch with everything else.

Then you can prioritize at the port level on the router/firewall and
simply give any traffic coming in/out via the Voice NIC high priority
and any any traffic coming in/out the Common NIC low priority.

Heck, a Linksys WRT54GS will do this and it only costs ~$90

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel

BTW: Depending on how you implement VoIP (Hosting the server yourself or
using a hosted provider) you may want to look at doing some bandwidth
shaping on your Router/Firewall.