[TriLUG] Managed & Unmanaged switches

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Wed Mar 2 10:55:15 EST 2005

what you want is QoS (quality of service) on both the managed switch and
the router/firewall.  most decent managed switches produced in the past
few years have some form of QoS featureset, if it's an older switch
then it might not.  as for the router/firewall it all depends on what
you have, but you can certainly roll your own using linux or (even
better) openbsd that can do QoS as well.

jason