[TriLUG] OT: Earthlink Tech Support

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Wed Mar 2 12:46:28 EST 2005

Michael Thompson wrote:

> Luckily, I don't need dialup access or hosting anyway.  I'm just fed up
> with dealing with attitudes from businesses that expect my patronage,
> whether its an ISP or the McDonalds up the street.  Those guys may be
> the nicest people in the world, but their site tells me they think
> they're smarter than everyone else and if I were in need for dialup
> service I'd shop somewhere else.  Whats wrong with providing good
> technical service and showing some simple respect?  Guess I'm just old
> fashioned.
>
> But hey, thats just my $.02.

I think the point is, it costs way more to support people who call for
every little thing about the internet they don't understand.

This company, instead, is running a business that is bare-bones and
cheaper to run, by only accepting customers that *don't* need general
computer support and *don't* abuse their ISPs call centers to get it.
It's the difference between having a tech support guy and a call center
full of tech support guys.