[TriLUG] vonage behind nat

Joshua Gitlin josh at glowfilms.com
Fri Mar 4 16:49:13 EST 2005

I have two Vonage boxes, which brought up the question, which one do I
forward the ports to? It turns out you don't have to forward the port
at all, it just works.

However, I have a linux router and can't get QoS to work properly. I
set the priority flags for the packets in iptables, but it still
doesn't work. If I'm downloading a torrent, for example, the phone is
unusable.

What I'd like to do is have the phone adaptors on a separate subnet
(well, they already are...) and possibly on a separate ethernet nic,
like eth2. (eth0 is my cable modem and eth1 is my local network). Then
I'd like to guarantee bandwidth to eth2 over eth1... not just
"preference" VoIP traffic, because preferencing isn't working...

is this possible? Or do I just have my QoS all screwed up?

-Josh

Due to the recent increase in spam and falsely sent email, I now PGP
Sign all of my outgoing mail to prove my identity. This means that you
will see an attachment called "PGP.sig" with this message. This
attachment can be used to prove that I am who I say I am. If you are
not familiar with PGP, you can safely ignore it. For more information,
please visit http://www.pgp.com/ or http://www.gnupg.org/