[TriLUG] pine -> thunderbird transition

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 16:29:35 EST 2005

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:20:15 -0500, Scott G. Hall
<ScottGHall at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> The difference is file structure.  Pine uses the "maildir" format (feel
> free to correct me if I'm wrong), and Thunderbird uses the "mbox" format,
> but with subdirectories named with a .sbd extension.

You are wrong.  Pine does *not* use the maildir format, at least not
by default.

Pine can use either the mbox format (which it does by default) or the
higher performance MBX format.

Just as a side note, the TriLUG server currently uses the MBX format.
The main difference between it and mbox are as follows:  mbox stores
the files in unix text format with \n for newlines, mbx stores the files
in the same format they're sent over the network in which is with
\r\n as newlines so it doesn't have to convert messages every time
they're requested.  In addition, mbx has an index at the beginning of
the file that gives message offsets while mbox has no such concept
so to find a message you have to do a linear search each time.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace