[TriLUG] Problem with Umask & Perms

Brian Blater bblater at ridetta.org
Thu Mar 10 08:23:32 EST 2005

I have some questions dealing with umask and permissions. I have a SLES 9.1 server that is an apache server for our web page. We have a handful of people that make changes to the web site using Macromedia Contribute. Recently I've noticed that the perms get mangled when people publish their changes. When I first encountered this I changed the set GUID to keep the group constant and changed the /etc/profile.local to have umask 002, so new files have the correct group and rw-rw-r perms. This appears to work just fine if the user were to SSH to the machine and create/modify the files this way. Since, I do not allow them SSH access to the box or FTP, they create/modify files using contribute (using SCP or SFTP to publish the files) or using winSCP. When they do this the file perms are set to rw-r--r. So, I then have to go back on fix perms every time a document is published.

I must be missing something in the configuration, but somehow I need to keep the umask 002 when files are created/modified using contribute or winSCP. I assume it has something to do with contribute or winSCP not following the umask. What can I do to fix this problem? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.
Brian