[TriLUG] OT Switch Selection

Greg Brown greg at airlannetworks.com
Fri Mar 11 15:31:47 EST 2005

I have had problems with my past 5 port ethernet switch.  Every
once-in-a-while my switch would lock up and refuse to push any more
packets.  It got annoying because it always seemed to fail when I was
traveling somewhere and needed to access home files.

My 16 port linksys has never had a problem, for whatever that is worth.
  The good thing about linksys switches are they use low power, do not
have noisy fans, and offer fairly decent throughput though you are
never going to mistake the packet pushing abilities of a SOHO linksys
verses, say, a Cisco 3750.  But at a couple thousand dollars less
expensive they are a bit easier on the wallet.

Greg