[TriLUG] good Linux WiFi card

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Mar 13 12:10:29 EST 2005

Hi folks,

I currently have five WiFi cards and have swapped or borrowed others.
And I've had some problems with nearly all of them, the worst being the
inability to get them to, with Linux, reliably associate with the very
"picky" (don't know how else to describe it!) WiFi network that was
recently installed at work.

So last week, I bought a card that not only works well with Linux but
also has excellent range and works nicely at work.  So I thought I'd
share the news--its a Senao 2511 CD PLUS from Netgate:

http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?
cPath=26_39&products_id=42&osCsid=ed7d243fca67552737148050f68b2e09

which may (?) be available from other vendors.  It seems to go best with
the hostap_cs driver:

  http://hostap.epitest.fi/

and I'm currently using it on an FC3 system with the latest kernel
(2.6.10-1.770_FC3).

Ed

ps - And no, I'm not a shill for or in any way associated with
   Netgate or Senao.

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307