[TriLUG] mythtv ramblings and a questions about december mythtv presentation

Myrhillion lug at blackwizard.net
Sun Mar 20 11:50:02 EST 2005

Hello,

I have recently gotten interested in building a mythtv box.
I checked my trilug messages and found there was a meeting in December
which featured mythtv.
Drats, I've missed my opportunity.

Does anyone know if the presentation is available online somewhere?
I'd like to discuss what people have for hardware too.

Here is the basic machine I'm considering.

I'm considering recycling an athlon duron 800 with 512 mb ram.
I'm thinking gentoo or a debian based distro like ubuntu for the OS.
The machine by itself would be too slow so,  I'm going to buy a tv card,
probably a hauppage (sp?) wintv 250 or 350.
Has anyone seen any benefit of the 350 over the 250 in practice?
    Any other tv tuners people have been impressed with to use for this
purpose?
I'll be adding a larger hard drive, probably 200gb range.
A wireless nic so I can save some of the shows I want to keep to a
larger file server and to grab the xmltv feed.
This will also make it simple to keep downstairs with the stereo tv etc..

Doug Taggart