[TriLUG] setting up a dummy "two-up" printer

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Mon Mar 21 11:01:15 EST 2005

Folks,

I have a pretty basic setup at home and at work (debian, fvwm window
manager, lpd/lpr as printer driver, postscript printer). I find myself
printing more and more long documents, though, and wanting to save a few
forests, would like to be able to route them through psnup -2 on their way
to the printer. When I'm not feeling lazy, I do this manually by printing
to a file in /tmp, then doing psnup -2 /tmp/file.ps | lpr, but I'm too
lazy to want to do this regularly.

So: I would like to set up an lpd queue that, when jobs are sent to it,
pipes the jobs through psnup -2 and then to the printer.  Key to this,
though, is that the regular queue has to be available too, so I can print
final documents when necessary. Any advice?

Thanks,
Andy