[TriLUG] How to get ntpd to work

Greg Cox glcox at pobox.com
Mon Mar 21 15:41:40 EST 2005

> I always heard you want to pull time from one stratum 1 and
> two stratum two servers.

Be a good citizen, use lower stratums for home/general use.

Asking an S1 for time instead of a lower stratum is like asking the
UNIX SA to change an email password instead of the helpdesk.  It'll
do it, but it's not a good use of its.. well, time.  One or two people
doing it may be ok.   Everyone; no.

If you REALLY have a need for the level of precision that an S1 affords
over an S2 and lower, you'd know it, but even then I'd wonder why you
were risking network problems and not running an independent internal
time source.  If you insist on using S1s, do it smartly: for a large
$WORK setup, have your ntp[1 .. n ~ 3] boxes be S2's, fed by different
S1's, and have your main servers use the internal S2's as their masters.

> But is definitely a better idea to pull time from multiple servers.

Yeah.