[TriLUG] How to get ntpd to work

Mack.Joseph at epamail.epa.gov Mack.Joseph at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Mar 21 16:00:14 EST 2005

Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualisation
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.john at epa.gov

trilug-bounces at trilug.org wrote on 03/21/2005 03:41:40 PM:

> > I always heard you want to pull time from one stratum 1 and
> > two stratum two servers.
>
> Be a good citizen, use lower stratums for home/general use.

There is a list of public ntp servers that (I think) comes with the
source code. They are all lower stratum and are listed by region.
Some ntpd servers ask you to e-mail them before you start using them
and some are available to anyone (which I use). They ask that you
only use servers local to you (NA for us). I have my router connect
to about 5 of these outside ntpd servers and my boxes inside all
get their time from the router. The boxes inside will show (with ntpq)
which outside ntpd server the router is sync'ed to.

Joe