[TriLUG] mythtv ramblings and a questions about december mythtvpresentation

Myrhillion lug at blackwizard.net
Tue Mar 22 14:59:53 EST 2005

Wayne,

I think for my first setup, I'm going with something less complicated
than what Kevin has planned.

As far as I can tell, what I have planned should suffice for my intended
purpose.

I want a PVR, and I want to timeshift programs so I don't have to watch
commercials.
Man will it be nice to record CSI at 2am, when basketball preempts it.

Then I want to be able to save some recorded shows to cd/dvd for
watching again later, the burner will not be in the mythtv box, so I must
have some sort of network connection (planning wireless) to (slowly)
copy my shows over to a personal workstation.

I only get basic cable and don't need more than that (but boy do I miss
The Daily Show).
note: I have charter as the only cable option in Angier.

Athlon duron 800
512 mb ram
A hauppauge PVR-250 (assuming initially the cabling comes with the card)
(I believe this covers sound as well?)
a wireless card  (forget the version, older protocol  802.11b?)
gentoo, ubuntu or FC3 as the OS

I think the only bits I need to purchase are the PVR-250 and the
wireless card

I plan on putting this behind my entertainment center (it's
caty-cornered) or possibly
in it if I get a shuttle or something for the enclosure.

That's a question, what are people using for their mythtv enclosures?
Anything anybody really favors?

I don't suppose that the December mythtv presentation got recorded on
video by anyone did it?

Doug Taggart