[TriLUG] streamer: no audio recorded

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Tue Mar 22 15:05:06 EST 2005

With all the recent traffic about xawtv, I thought I would revisit an
old problem with my tv card setup.  The issue is this: I can watch just
fine using xawtv. But on occasion I would like to record to a file for
later viewing, archiving, etc.  I *should* be able to use streamer for
this, right? For example:

streamer -o movie.avi -f mjpeg -F stereo -r 12 -t 0:10

but even though the speakers come on and play the TV sound while the
recording is happening, the resulting movie.avi contains no sound, only
the video.

Alternatively, if I use the following (directly from the streamer -h help
screen):

streamer -o quicktime.mov -f yuv2 -F stereo -r 12 -t 0:10

I get the sound, but the video is all screwed up (neon colors, choppy,
unwatchable).

The no-audio outcome is also what happens if I record from xawtv or if I
use the multi-step process to create an mpg from the streamer
documentation:

streamer -t 0:30 -s 352x240 -r 24 -o movie.avi -f mjpeg -F stereo
lav2wav +p movie.avi | mp2enc -o audio.mp2
lav2yuv +p movie.avi | mpeg2enc -o video.m1v
mplex audio.mp2 video.m1v -o movie.mpg

Any ideas what might be happennig? This is a debian box using a Pinnacle
TV tuner, which uses the bttv driver.

Thanks-
Andy