[TriLUG] What's the Fairest Distro of All?

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:17:49 EST 2005

1) Can I just use any Fedora Core 3 packages I find for RHEL/CentOS 4?

>>rpms are rpms, i havent used centos, doesn't it use rpms?  You
should be fine unless you have problems with a specific package or
something.

2) What's the distro seeing the most activity for add-on software these
days?

>>Probably RH but I am sure the Debian people would have something to
say about that.  Depends on who you ask, RH is well known by the
'suits' of the world many of whom think that all of Linux = Red Hat.
Some ISP types that I know, act like Debian is all that ever
existed...

3) Is there a website anywhere with a grid that tallies such
information? I thought Distrowatch would be the thing, but turned up
null there.

>>No se' Sen~or.

4) Without trying to start any flamewars here - what's everyone's
favorite distros to use for a WinXP replacement (everyday desktop "heavy
lifting") and why?

>>Please don't clutter up the sacredness of Linux by making a
comparison of the two!  :)

>>My favorite distro for general desktop use is Fedora (1 version
behind whatever he brand new one is).  I like it stable but fairly
new.  I find myself getting more and more into other distros for
specific purposes, like Helix or Knoppix for Forensic stuff.  (started
Forensiclug.com fyi).  Whenever I identify a use for myself I will try
a differrent distro.  I may look into the new SuSE Pro, I love their
look and feel but that's not enough of a reason to really immerse
myself in a new distro.

5) Should I just shut up and subscribe to Linux Journal or Linux
World? :-)

>>great mags, LJ is over my head about 85% of the time.  :) Maybe
you'll have better luck with it.  I need a Linux mag that EXPLAINS
more on a user level since we are all not Linus Torvalds or running
NASA.  Sometimes I think I could understand pure binary itself better
than some of what is written in LJ. :)

Peace,

Marc