[TriLUG] What's the Fairest Distro of All?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Mar 24 15:36:07 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 14:54 -0500, James Brigman wrote:
> The questions I've got are:
> 1) Can I just use any Fedora Core 3 packages I find for RHEL/CentOS 4?

Hi James,

Instead of trying to use FC3 packages on CentOS, why not use them on FC3
itself?  ;-)

In all sincerity, I think Fedora Core is mighty nice.  I use it as a
day-to-day workhorse on my laptop and a couple of desktops.  My wife
uses it on her desktop.  At work we use it on 85--90% of our machines
including most of our file servers, cluster head/compute nodes, most of
our desktops and laptops, and occasionally within VMWare.  Altogether,
thats a few hundred boxen.

Fedora Core has its share of annoyances.  But it is (IMHO) a good choice
for people who are used to Red Hat and who are interested in "newer"
stuff -- and are willing to live with more frequent updates, installs,
etc.

Ed

ps - FC installs generally take much less than the ~3 days someone
     just quoted for Gentoo.  For instance, I got my new IBM T42p
     working nicely with FC3 (including SpeedStep, ACPI-suspend,
     and Centrino WiFi) in <3 hrs.

pps - I have no ill will towards any Linux distros.  Freedom and
     choice and are great things!

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307