[TriLUG] htaccess

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:45:01 EST 2005

Authentication usernames and passwords (like the ones provided in the
dialog displayed after seeing a 401) are available in PHP through the
$_SERVER object via PHP_AUTH_USER and PHP_AUTH_PW'

See http://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php#reserved.variables.server

But, I'm not really sure what problem you're trying to solve.  What
authentication is awstats expecting?

Joseph

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:17:01 -0500, Steve Hoffman <srhoffman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking for a php pro out there...I basically am trying to mimic
> htaccess authentication on our server, but I want to use a custom
> login page...not the popup window.  I can do the whole process myself,
> take a username/password pair, encrypt the password and compare it to
> the encrypted password in .htpasswd, but the problem is, the program
> I'm trying to access, doesn't recognize this as valid authentication.
>
> It's actually awstats...that I only want authenticated access
> (yeah...we got hacked, upgrade if you haven't!!!!) but I have many
> (~300) users from different domains that need to auth.  The problem is
> I don't know what flag to set saying that they have passed or if I can
> even do that.
>
> I don't mind redoing the method, but the requirement is that the login
> page needs to be customized to each customers website so that's why
> the popup won't work.
>
> Thanks as always!
> Steve

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com