[TriLUG] Re: fedora core 3 permishions

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Mar 25 07:54:33 EST 2005

Lance A. Brown wrote:

>Merle Watts wrote:
>

>>im trying to set up an http server.
>>
>>i have the server all set up and working the way it should, i can
>>view my index.html
>>
>>however, i had to manually set the permisions to the file. i had to
>>change the group to apache and set read and execute privilages for
>>that group on the file.
>>
>>this will turn to a big problem when i place my 800 meg worth of
>>pictures and files into this folder.
>>
>>is there a way to set it so that every file in this folder, the
>>var/www/html, is set to the appache group with read and execute
>>turned on?
>>
>>I did not have this problem when I was using mandrake.
>>

>Sounds like a problem with the default SELINUX settings.  FC3 ships with
>SELINUX enabled.  To disable it, edit /etc/sysconfing/selinux and set
>the SELINUX variable to disabled and reboot.  There are probably less
>drastic mesasures you can take, but this is what I did.
>
>--[Lance]

I would say the problem is a bit simpler, but I could be wrong (as
Joseph pointed out yesterday :) ).  Apache needs to be able to read the
files, via standard UNIX file permissions.  Because it's apparently
running as group Apache, that group needs read access to those files,
and if there are directories involved, execute access to be able to
descend into them.  You can easily remedy this problem after dropping
your 800megs of files into place, with the following two commands:
chgrp -R apache /var/www/html/
chmod -R g+rx /var/www/html/
These commands will change the group (chgrp) recursively (-R) to apache
on /var/www/html/, and then change the file permissions mode (chmod)
recursively (-R) adding  read and execute permissions for the group
(g+rw) on all files in /var/www/html/.  As always, you should read the
man pages for chgrp and chmod before trusting any commands like this
from a mailing list.  After all, my license plate reads BOFH.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner