[TriLUG] Re: Distro Round Table - May 2005 (was: What's the Fairest Distro of All?)

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Fri Mar 25 12:21:39 EST 2005

Hello TriLUG list --

This inquiry by James provides us with the perfect segue into our May
TriLUG meeting.  In May 2005, we would like to have a Distro Round
Table discussion where fans of particular linux distributions come to
present their best case for their favorite.  This will be a great
opportunity to either bring newbies on board your distro or convert a
few wizened experts to try out your brand.

	[Please also remember that each May we hold TriLUG Steering Committee
	 Elections, so start thinking of your nominations today!]

Here are the basics we've mapped out so far.  Please feel free to offer
suggestions for improvement.  We're thinking 6 or 7 tables up front to
represent the following (listed in entirely random order):

  * Red Hat - which could include Fedora Core and/or RH Enterprise Linux
  * Mandrake - happy, friendly distro from France
  * SuSe - replete desktop replacement + easy install
  * Gentoo - seems to be an "emerging" favorite these days
  * Debian - maybe include something like Ubuntu
  * boot cd/forensic distros like Helix or Knoppix
  * some *BSD distro - Free, Open, Net ... They're all good!
	[Personally, I'd like to see Matt Pusateri talking
	 about the BSD of his choosing.]

If you feel you know enough about a particular distribution to be
involved with a panel discussion, then please send an email to the
Steering Committee <steering at trilug.org> and we'll make sure you get
signed up.  Size of each representative group will probably have to be
limited to 1-2 folks per distro, just to keep things from getting out
of control.  (Tanner promises to play Phil Donohue).

Unfortunately for some, we are not interested in representing the MS
Windows OS.  Their closed development, restrictive licensing and
general bad karma in the software world is anathema to the Free and
Open Source Software communities.  Promoting their software does
nothing to further the spirit or mission of TriLUG.

Lastly, we are hardware limited to only 2 microphones.  If you have one
we could use for the night and are kind enough to lend, please let the
SC know.  Thanks!

Step up and champion your favorite linux!  Help educate your fellow
TriLUG members!  Participate and enjoy!

dave m.
TriLUG Vice-Chair

--
"Please note that MS Access support is not designed for busy boards. If
you anticipate more than one or two users being online at any given