[TriLUG] What's the Fairest Distro of All?

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sat Mar 26 13:39:57 EST 2005

On 25-Mar-2005 17:12 EST, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:04:33 -0500, Steve Litt
> <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

>> CPM is the fairest distro. CPM plus Wordstar can do more with a 2Mhz Z80,
>> 64KB of RAM and dual 170KB floppies than any MS or Linux distro.
>
> Yeah, but how available is a 2MHz Z80 64KB Kaypro machine these days? Not
> very! Still, get one to a kernel developer and wait a couple of weeks and
> I bet they'd get linux running on it.  :-)

Believe it or not, you can have your CP/M and Linux too!  I have a Heathkit
CP/M emulator written for MS-DOS that runs great under Win4Lin loaded with
Win98 on my Debian box.  Anyone want to "pip" some files?  It won't read
CP/M floppies though ...  And I can't count when was the last time I loaded
a hard-sectored 5.25" 160K floppy.

Oh, and Tanner -- 8080/Z80 is strictly 8-bit.  Not even 8-bit Small-C will
compile the 16-bit Linux for it.  (sigh)  And somewhere I still have that
old Heath-Zenith Z100 S-100-bus dual-processor box in the attic ...
(CP/M, CP/M-86 and MS-DOS 2.1 !!)

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA