Preparing for System upgrade (was Re: [TriLUG] PHP install/upgrade question)

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 19:51:07 EST 2005

Yes you're probably right.  It's just that I've never done such an
update before.

Before going to the dentist, I always want to make sure that I've
brushed and flossed.  So I'm trying to go through my system and look
for newbie mistakes I might have made and straighten them out first,
like installing software in /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin

Yes, I've got regular backups of "user" data, I have an rsync based
backup solution which backs up the /root, /home, /var/lib/mysql, /etc,
/public, /var/www, /var/log, /var/named, /var/spool/mail, /var/yp, and
/usr/local directories every four hours.

Also /home is it's own partition.

Are there any other directories that I might need after upgrading to say FC3?

I'm going through the system trying to convince myself that I know how
to get everything I've configured myself re-configured if necessary.
Init scripts, crontabs, spamassassin, sendmail, fetchmail ...

Do I need to be concerned about mysql databases?  I'm assuming that if
the files are there they will work, but I'd hate any nasty surprises
there.

Any other "flossing" anyone else can think of?