[TriLUG] Midnight Commander through PuTTY

Dave Cowan davecowan at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 02:08:59 EDT 2005

I use PuTTY to access my fedora server here at home from my WinXP
machine and it works great. I was playing around with Midnight Commander
this evening for the first time using PuTTY and all the line characters
on the screen are displayed as "a" with a circumflex. My Google search
was not very successful in finding a solution (however, I was pleased to
see that someone else was looking for a solution to the same
problem...so if I am an idiot and doing something wrong...at least I am
not a lone idiot)

I tried various configuration changes in PuTTY; various character set
translations and how putty handles line drawing characters but nothing
seemed to work.

Have any of you experienced this or have any ideas how I can correct
this problem?

Regards,

Dave