[TriLUG] TriLUG steering committee error in judgement

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 15:04:14 EDT 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 1:52 PM, Jim Ray <jim at neuse.net> wrote:
> I really, really do not appreciate TriLUG steering committee electing to
> remove my link from the web site as a sponsor after I opened up my house
> to host the weekly meetings for the TriLUG RHCE class for nearly a year
> until my second child was born.  The previous year, I donated a couple
> of hundred dollars to TriLUG to sponsor pizza for a meeting.

First off, from what I understand, the RHCE study group, while
certainly encouraged by TriLUG, was not an "official" TriLUG
event.  Secondly, you sponsored pizza in March of 2003.
Pizza sponsorships most certainly do not last forever.  We
give sponsors a link on our website for one year and after
that time they can choose to sponsor again if they wish.
The Steering Committee told you all of this when you contacted
us back in February and you elected to not sponsor TriLUG
again at the moment.  That's perfectly fine, but it still
doesn't put your link back up.

> Most recently, I offered to donate another couple of hundred dollars to
> sponsor pizza for another meeting and moderate a panel discussion to
> compare and contrast distributions.  Thanks a lot for stealing my idea,
> running with it and not even inviting me to particpate.

Looking at the archives for the Steering list, you said you might
be able to sponsor us in 6 months (this was back in Feb).  You also
said you'd like to have a meeting to "discuss open source alternatives
to commercial software as well as best practices in the field for
either choice." That is something completely different from what
TriLUG is doing in May.  What we're doing in May is letting
people ask questions about distributions that they might
not know very well.

> TriLUG steering committee needs to answer to the membership for their
> collective actions or publicly admit a little good ole boy network going
> on with competitors and conflict of interest.

There is no "good ole boy network".  We have been very up front
with you and we really have no idea why you chose to bring this
up on the main list at this time.

> Perhaps folks need to polish their business skills if they expect to
> build relationships instead of break them.  Meanwhile, I'm holding on to
> my wallet and donating my hard earned money elsewhere.

That is certainly your right.

Tanner Lovelace
Chair, TriLUG Steering Committee
--