[TriLUG] thunderbird

Aaron Bockover abockover.trilug at aaronbock.net
Sat Apr 9 01:00:17 EDT 2005

Evolution, though slightly more involved that Thunderbird, migrates
pretty easily -- problem is it's not very well documented.

I did it last week...

$ evolution-2.2 --force-shutdown
$ gconftool-2 --shutdown
$ cp -rf /old/home/aaron/.evolution /home/aaron
$ cp -rf /old/home/aaron/.gconf/apps/evolution /home/aaron/.gconf/apps
$ evolution-2.2

Now everything should be in tact. The key is shutting down evolution and
gconf, since gconf can listen for changes and in turn evolution listens
for gconf. So things can get screwy here. Then move your actual
evolution data, and take your gconf settings too. Most people forget the
gconf stuff. Again, make sure you shutdown evolution and gconftool.
Running evolution again will restart gconf.

--Aaron