[TriLUG] Multimedia stuff I'd like to do

Christopher Blackmon ckblackm at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 17:48:43 EDT 2005

Howdy folks,

I'd like to get your opinion on the best way to handle
the following tasks I'd like to do.

1) I have both a vhs & beta vcr that I'd like to copy
tapes over and put them on my computer and probably
burn them either to VCD or DVD.  (Bunch of home movies
from when I was a kid)

2) I have a newer DV camcorder that I'd like to be
able to take home movies off of and put them on my
computer as mpeg's or burn and/or burn to DVD.

3) I'd like to be able to legally download songs (like
through a service such as iTunes or whatever) and burn
the songs to cd and/or use in my portable mp3 player.

4) I have a hookup for satellite that I can have go
through the afore mentioned vcr's or directly to the
computer.  I'd like to be able to view and/or record
from this hookup (sort of like a PVR).

My questions are.. can this be all done (one at a
time) with 1 computer running Linux?  If not, can it
be done with a mac-mini running OSX?  If it can be
done under linux, what hardware/software would I need?
 Which is the better way to go?  (I've been using
linux for some time now, but have never done the above
with it... haven't messed with OSX before, but would
be willing to try it out if it could do the above).

thanks,
Christopher.

For computer sales/service & Ebay consignments in the triangle, NC
check out: http://www.ckbstuff.com