[TriLUG] Why Did My USB Printer Break?

Randy Barlow rpbarlow at eos.ncsu.edu
Fri Apr 15 11:12:50 EDT 2005

Alright, so I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel after a long
upgrading-to-kernel-2.6-from-2.4-battle.  I've gotten everything working
(well, as far as I've discovered so far) except for my USB printer.  It
was working fine before, but now I get an error when I try to print.
When I look in the cups web interface deal, and click on Printers, I see
this: Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
/"Unable to open USB device
"usb://HP/DeskJet%20950C?serial=MY02R1F1ZMJP": No such device".  /I do
have USB printing enabled in the kernel config, so I don't think that is
the problem.  I may have seen something funny pertaining to USB in all
that stuff that flashes up on the screen when the kernel is loading, but
it went by so fast that I couldn't tell.  Which log does that info go
into?  Any ideas of what I should check?

Randy