[TriLUG] OT: Servers in the...

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Thu Apr 28 14:48:15 EDT 2005

On 27-Apr-2005 16:49 EDT, Tommy Williams wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has successfully moved server machines to an
> un-conditioned portion of their dwelling. Also what (if any) problems
> have arisen from this, or what type of preparatory work I should
> expect to perform.

I have tried two different servers in my attic space.  One crashed out
because the harddisk got too hot.  The other one became quite flaky and
unreliable.  A cooler environment (crawlspace) cured that -- until the
corrosion from the moisture overtook it.  I also found out there were
problems caused by power spikes (too many motors and relays on the same
circuit).

So my conclusion is:
- temperature mediation
- moisture mediation
- line power mediation

Now mind you, they do sell expensive server chassis designed for industrial
conditions.  I know of one 1.2GHz Celeron system that holds 6 drives, has
6 large-area fans with gas filters, minimized cables, has a built in
battery backup and power conditioner  ...  and takes up 12U of rack space,
is heavier than I can carry, and runs $75000.  I can testify to this unit
being tested in 200 deg-C for 72 hours with no problems, handling power
corruption during that time, and most circuitry being fume and moisture
resistant.  But for you home, well ....

Now I do know of a case of a 300MHz Pen-II (recently upgraded from Win-98
to Xandros-3) that has been running in a horse barn for a lot of years,
and is still going strong.  Standard off-the-shelf HP box from 1997; only
have added a harddisk and more memory.  Who knows ... ?

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA