[TriLUG] mySQL Data Import

David Rasch rasch at raschnet.com
Mon May 2 15:22:49 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 03:12:02PM -0400, Mark Freeze <mfreeze at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a database running on network solutions domain hosing platform
> and I am having trouble with importing data into a table.  I am trying
> to import a tab-delimited data file from my local system into a table
> on the netsol system with the following command: "load data local
> infile 'c:/pfs_a.txt' into table pfs_trans fields terminated by '\t'
> lines terminated by '\r\n';"  The system gives me the error 'Command
> used is not supported in this version of MySQL.'
>
> What is the next best way to get my 1000 record file imported into a
> MySQL table?

Mark,

The "FILE" privilege is often not given in shared or even dedicated
commercial hosting environements since it can be used to read system
files with the MYSQL user, including other tables, and things of this
sort.  It's likely your providor has disabled this feature.  You might
ask them if it'd be possible for them to import the data, or write a
quick Perl/PHP/Language of your choice script to import the data for
you.

-David