[TriLUG] OT - well, I do want to save the file on Linux

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue May 3 20:41:32 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 19:54, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:
> Greg Brown wrote:

> > BTW - I think I'll wait for asterisk to get a bit more mature before I
> > install it at the house, or anywhere else.  I've been encountering a
> > lot of dropped audio, popping, static, and call break-ups using
> > Asterisk. ...
>
> Just in the defense of my phone system's honor, what ever problems you
> may be experiencing are not directly Asterisk's fault.  :)  Not only do
> I use Asterisk at home as a PBX with auto-attendant for my phone,
> inter-house communication with friends (over IAX tunnels), and for the
> usual voicemail functionality, I have installed it for more than a few
> local businesses.  Among these is my previous employer, who a little
> googling around should allow you to discern with the greatest of ease.
> Calling their (also readily available) number should clearly demonstrate
> a labyrinth of menus, in the clearest and most wonderful of audio,
> provided entirely digitally (well up until your end of the phone line,
> probably) out a Digium Wildcard T1 interface card.  It's only marginally
> better than the $11 modem which interfaces my PBX to BellSouth, where
> the only problem is occasional echo issues related to the cheap analog
> interface (no direct fault of Asterisk's).
>
> If you're using Asterisk and experiencing this problems still, perhaps
> someone on the list (myself included) can help you to troubleshoot them,
> but please don't wantonly blame the problems on Asterisk.  :)
>
> Aaron S. Joyner

Indeed!  We've been using Asterisk for about three years now in our
business, and it's been rock solid. We have over a thousand phone
calls/hour being handled by two asterisk servers and our stats indicate
that they can handle at least four times that load with ease.

It's all in the hardware and the device tweaking. After that, it all
runs very nicely.

I highly recommend using SCSI disk subsystems (or a RAM disk) for
running your voice apps, and make dang sure that you aren't using any
virtual RAM - especially on a system with an IDE drive.  Most folks who
experiment with Asterisk and have crappy performance are running too
many apps with too little RAM and are swapping to an IDE drive for
virtual RAM... :-(

Maybe would should have an Asterisk table at our next install-fest?

Jon