[TriLUG] OT - well, I do want to save the file on Linux

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Tue May 3 23:30:15 EDT 2005

If you just want to tinker with asterisk, very little is actually
required.  I had it running on a celeron 300A with 256 MB of ram on a
system that was doing a number of other things all the time.  This was
not high call volume in the slightest, but if you just want to try it
out, it doesn't take much.  Especially if you avoid transcoding of audio
formats.  I've since upgraded the whole system to a P3 800 MHz, and it's
running fine full time.  The only money I've put into this PBX system is
an $11 modem to hook it to my phone line, and later $50 for a hard
phone.  The rest is free software.  I'm still hoping to get some sort of
FXS interface so I can hook up my analog phones, but that seems to be
the most expensive part of the system.

Regarding asterisk at home, I hadn't been aware of its existence until
know, but it looks like it might make a basic setup pretty easy.  That
might appeal to some, but for the most part, especially most of those on
this list, I think you'd be better off taking a little time to learn the
asterisk configuration files.  It's a little tricky at first, but the
sample configs are quite good and well commented.  But then again, I'm
the sort of guy who likes to really understand what's going on.  Others
may like a more automatic approach.

Joel