[TriLUG] OT - well, I do want to save the file on Linux

Joseph E. ODoherty joey at odoherty.net
Wed May 4 11:54:22 EDT 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 08:35:24AM -0400, William Sutton wrote:
> Got a question....do pci cards fit in pcix or pci32 slots?  it looks like
> the cards available from digium are all pci and I'm rather short on the
> old pci slots at the moment :}

They do in general, however there are some caveats.  PCI (32bit) cards come
in three form-factors 5v (notch in back), 3.3v (notch in front) and
universal (two notches.) PCI-X (64bit) cards can also come in these three
flavors, I think.

The problem is that the slots on your motherboard could be either:

(32bit and 5v) or (32bit and 3.3v) or (64bit and 5v) or (64bit and 3.3v)

If you can make sure that the PCI card you want comes in a universal 5/3.3v
form, it should work in any of those slots.

There are *excellent* pictures and diagrams here:
http://www.swyx.com/support/ssdb.html?kbid=kb2471

/joeyo

--
pub  1024D/B663781B 2001-11-13 Joey O'Doherty <joey(at)odoherty(dot)net>
     Key fingerprint = F76B 9ACA 4197 C707 6E4D  2B78 E430 101A B663 781B