[TriLUG] fdisk partition question

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Thu May 5 06:05:35 EDT 2005

Chris,

	The 6402 is a good solid controller, IIRC, it has 128MB of cache.  I
also believe that it has 2 channels, you could split the MSA 30 in half
if you have 2 channels on it as well.

	Hot spare disks are per array, not logical drive, if you just made one
big array, with 2 logical drives, you'll be fine with one hot spare.  I
have had occasions where a disk goes out during the day, and I called at
4PM, by the time I came in at 8 the next morning, the replacement was
sitting there waiting for me.  That was just standard warranty service
too.  Then again, I have had occasions where it took a good bit longer
to get replacement parts to my location.  I think that disks should be a
fairly safe bet, they have lots of spares for that common a part.

	So, you are booting from internal disks? If so, the internal disk would
be /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 etc, and the MSA would most likely be
/dev/cciss/c1d0p0 and c1d1p0

There is a possibility that what Jason mentioned is the case for the
6402, I forget which drivers it uses, they could use the older ones, in
that case it would be /dev/ida/c1d0p0 etc.

I sure hope that this isn't becoming more confusing that it started out.

Kevin