[TriLUG] Mail server downtime

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon May 9 22:56:22 EDT 2005

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

>Don't forget.  Starting in 15 minutes, the trilug mail and imap servers
>will be down.  They will be down until about midday tomorrow.  This
>means all the mailing lists too.
>
>Tanner Lovelace
>Chairman, TriLUG SC

A correction should be made to this.  Upon further consultation Tanner
and I were able to devise a way to avoid having to take the mailing list
itself down (1).  Only those users who use local IMAP mail on the TriLUG
servers will be affected by the change.  Normal mailing list mail (such
as this one you are reading now) will be delivered in a timely fashion
as usual.  If you're reading this a few days late from your IMAP box on
the TriLUG server, well you already knew from the previous message that
it was down.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner
System Administrator, TriLUG SC

1) For those interested, on the "source" server that is being migrated
away from, we set local_transport = local and defer_transports = local,
which causes all new incoming mail destined for delivery into local
trilug.org mailboxes via the local transport to be deferred.  After the
migration is complete, we will then change the main.cf configuration of
that server such that it is no longer considered a local destination for
trilug.org, and then mail will flow off of it in a natural fashion.
Once the queues are empty, we can then remove the defer_transports and
things will have reached a steady state in the new configuration.