[TriLUG] Linux on Alpha...

Clay Carley cbc at sonic.net
Sun May 15 12:34:43 EDT 2005

>  Is there anyone on the list running either or another distribution
>  on an Alpha that could give me a few pointers or caveats?

Hi Mike,

I've got two Alpha machines:
Digital Personal Workstation 433, which I use everyday
Digital server 5000, for experimental purposes.

Both of these machines were set up to run Windows NT at first, but on boot up
(if you have the same problem) you just have to go into the BIOS setup (F2 I
think), and then go into advanced settings (F6 I think) to change to boot
UNIX.

To get Debian installed, I only downloaded the net-boot disk images.  After
booting off the disks, the Debian install went rather well, although it is an
old installer.  You have to go through each step manually sometimes.  At the
time, Sarge did not work but Woody installed easily.  I kind of messed up the
boot process on my workstation by removing the SCSI card at one time- the
UNIX console forgot it was there at that point and I can't boot from the hard
drive anymore.  Luckily, it does boot from either the IDE drive or the floppy
drive still.

I did try an early release of Alpha Core as well.  The install on that was
troublesome.  I had to make the partitions on the drive first, as well as
formatting and making swap before installing.  The install would just not
start the swap, and error out causing a reboot anyway.  When it was all done,
I had a nice distro based on Fedora Core 2 on the drive, but the bootloader
didn't install...

I was not able to boot from the CD drive on the server, so I am still unable
to try FC2 on these machines.  It looks like it should work nicely though.  I
do like the Debian Woody distro, however there are some packages that will
not work, so you just have to compile them.  Another interesting trick is
getting mainstream software on these machines.   Luckily most everything is
open source, for instance Firefox.  To use Firefox I just download the latest
source and compile.  It does not take long ;-)

Good luck with this- these are great machines, as well as more secure (who
writes virus code that runs on 64-bit RISC chips?).  If you have any more
questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me and I'll try my best to help out.

Clay Carley