[TriLUG] OT: Way Way OT: running cable TV over Fiber Optics, possible?

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Mon May 16 14:38:14 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 10:47:59AM -0700, Chris Bullock wrote:
> Is it possible to run the cable TV signal over fiber optics?

Nope.  Cable is radio frequency at the electrical level, fiber is light.  It
would be like trying to hook your CD player up to a light bulb.

Your only hope would be to digitize every channel seperately and send them
as MPEG signals...

> (snip)
> We have an office directly accross the street from our main office
> (connected via fiber) with a brand new "donated" 40" plasma, and the cable
> company wants $5000 to run cable to that office.

... which sounds infeasible for this need.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5