[TriLUG] OT: Way Way OT: running cable TV over Fiber Optics, possible?

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:09:23 EDT 2005

On 5/16/05, Brian Henning <brian at strutmasters.com> wrote:
> > would be like trying to hook your CD player up to a light bulb.
> Which actually works.  Provided your transmitter ("light bulb") and
> receiver (photocell, etc) is capable of the bandwidth...

I recall seeing the word "feasible" in Kevin's response.  ;-)  Let's
just say it wouldn't be worth the cost.  That being said, years ago I
worked on a government project that used just this kind of
"technology."  Needless to say, that project has long since been
cancelled.

> LED?  Quite possibly.

Think IrDa, but range becomes an issue, among other things.

> But the point remains, any signal you can send over coax, you can
> modulate and send with light, given the right circuitry...

and signal processors and software and power....

MPF