[TriLUG] Linux and traffic generation

Shane O'Donnell shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Tue May 17 14:03:52 EDT 2005

Have you looked at tcpreplay?  http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcpreplay/

It doesn't necessarily "generate" the traffic from scratch, but given
that you have access to traffic that's similar, if not exact, to what
you'd want to generate, you should be able to use tcpdump to capture
the traffic (perhaps filtered on capture), optionally filter it once
you've captured it, and then play back the filtered capture,
generating only the traffic you want.

Did I miss something in your requirements?

Shane O.

On 5/17/05, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to send this once before and it bounced.  Let's try it again.
>
> I know that Linux 2.4.x kernels contained an optional traffic
> generator.  I have never used it but now find myself with a need for a
> traffic generator.  Does anyone know of a Linux-based software package
> that can blast packets around the network at specific IP Addresses
> using specific ports and protocols?
>
> Basically, what I've got here is a bunch of protocols I need to test
> after a QOS change was made.  Basically what I'd like to do is
> something like this:
>
> trafficgen <traget ip> <port/protocol> <time to megabyte duraction>
>
> What I'd like to get back are metrics on the bandwidth available,
> number of packets sent, number of packets dropped, and the like.
>
> Is anyone aware of an OSS tool that can do this?
>
> I have several sniffers around here but I'd like to do more then just
> dump a buffer of raw data across the net.
>
> Greg

Shane O.
========
Shane O'Donnell