[TriLUG] Speaking of Thunderbird in Debian..

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri May 20 10:48:04 EDT 2005

I too am a previously Evolution-using convert to Thunderbird.  Lately
I've started running into a curious problem.  To skip the storytelling
and get straight to the nitty-gritty, go to the 4th paragraph.

I run Debian Sarge on a twin Xeon machine.  It's pretty darn solid, and
I don't shut it down except when absolutely necessary [power outages,
bonkered cifs mounts, etc].  So all of my usual programs, including
Thunderbird, run for long stretches, usually without incident.

Except now.  Not too long ago I came in one morning and hit the Get Mail
button, and it just sat there on "Connecting to mail-serv", doing
nothing.  I checked the server; nothing was amiss there.  I closed
Thunderbird, reopened it, and *whoosh* in comes all my mail.

So it seems that after some unknown long amount of time of being open,
Thunderbird begins getting stuck when it tries to check mail.  It
doesn't crash; it just never actually connects to the mail server.

Do other people see this behavior?  It's not a big deal to shut down
Thunderbird at the end of the day and relaunch it in the morning, but
I'm left wondering why I have to do that now, and if I can fix it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers and Happy Friday,
~Brian