[TriLUG] /etc/enviornment and proxy servers

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:37:13 EDT 2005

Nope, I can't ssh out without going through a ssh proxy (and it's a
clever one and it seems to be able to kill forwarded ports).

As for the export, I can type "env | grep proxy" and I see the
variable $http_proxy set with the correct URL, username, and password.
  But it still doesn't work.  When I try I get:

Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 407 Proxy Authentication Required
13:59:43 ERROR 407: Proxy Authentication Required.

http_proxy=http://username:password@proxy.xxxxx.com:8080/xxproxy/

Any other ideas?