[TriLUG] Dual core CPU clarification

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri May 20 15:32:58 EDT 2005

IANA threading expert, but I don't think you have anything to lose,
other than the most nominal of overhead, to go ahead and split into
several threads.  Properly-configured SMP platforms (I presume) would
automatically divy the jobs across the cores.  Single-core platforms
would run all the threads on the one core, and there'd be a performance
hit, but I think if your threads are well-behaved, I'd be surprised if
it amounted to even a 1% overhead.

Then again, I really don't know that much about threading.  I could be
completely wrong.

~Brian

PS: If you want to continue to contact me off-list to test bits of code
for you, I'll be happy to do so.