[TriLUG] YAWQ (yet another wrt54 question)

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon May 23 09:37:23 EDT 2005

Jason Tower wrote:
> which of the "aftermarket" firmwares will allow the wrt to operate in
> client/bridge mode?  googling seems to suggest that my only two options
> are sveasoft (not free) and openwrt (radically different from stock).

I was running this exact setup for some time, until I decided my WISP
sucked.  openwrt isn't difficult, it feels like a Linux box, really.  I
was actually running as a client to the WISP and acting as a router/NAT
gateway, but running as a bridge would be easier (no NAT, etc).  I had
to hack an initscript or two (on my WRT, the wireless interface won't
come up automagically - known problem), but it really wasn't bad.  Keep
in mind that the power of OpenWRT is that it's so different.  It's a
linux box.  Anything you can fit into the flash is fair game to be run.
  Next up for me is adjustable QoS and caching DNS.  Though, the SD card
hack may come first.

The only thing to get used to with OpenWRT is that most files are
symlinks to the flash.  If you want to save your changes, you have to
edit the files on the flash (the destination of the symlink).

Mike