[TriLUG] Re: Build A Kernel

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Mon May 23 14:29:09 EDT 2005

paul.cour1 at verizon.net wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a friends Laptop which has Fedora Core 2
> installed. Runs fine.
>
> Friend wants newer kernel.
> Downloaded 2.6.11 from kernel.orq, no problem
> got to point of "make bzImage",
> makefile starts, but gives error:
> cannot find ".config" file...
>
> using find command, tried to find
> .config file, none available,
> but did find a
> "config-2.6.5-1358"
>
> How to proceed with kernel build?

RTFM... :-)

You need to generate a .config file using one of the available
configuration mechanisms.  'make menuconfig' will provide a dialog based
menu for configuring the kernel.  'make xconfig' (I think) will bring up an
X-Window GUI for cnfiguring the kernel, etc.

Once that is done, you should 'make deps' before 'make bzImage', IIRC.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle: http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
 Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/