[TriLUG] Newbie needs help

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Mon May 23 16:07:58 EDT 2005

Brian Henning wrote:

> Alan Byerly wrote:
>> Hello everyone, I'm just beginning with Linux, finally got up the courage
>> to leave Windows, and I need some help.  I'm working with the Knoppix 3.7
>> live CD and have been trying to load it to the hard drive on an old IBM
>> 300PL.  I've figured out the basics on how to install Knoppix however when
>> I try to install it on this particular hard drive I get the following error
>>  message: Error: Expected at least 7 tokens for --radiolist, have 4.
>
> I personally have never had any luck with a Knoppix hd-install. However,
> Knoppix is based on Debian, and I've had great luck with installing
> Debian. In fact, I run Debian Sarge on my primary workstation here at
> work.  Debian itself isn't quite as It-Just-Works-y as Knoppix, but
> It-Just-Works is not what I've encountered with Knoppix hd-install
> anyhow. Knoppix is great to run as a live-CD, but I would personally
> highly recommend a fuller distribution as a permanent hd installation.

If you are new to Linux from the MS-Windows world, and would like a great
Debian-based HD installation, check into Xandros Desktop Open Circulation
Edition.

Like Brian said, you need a fuller distro designed for a harddisk installs,
and Xandros fits the bill.

Other advantages over vanilla Debian: fuller and more thorough device
detection, and installs on not-so-common hardware (one of the advantages
of Knoppix too), excellent GUI-based package installer and system upgrade
interface (Xandros Networks), excellent GUI-based system administration
(Xandros Control Center), and built-in Skype trial.  A marketing feature
includes a modified KDE that more resembles Win98 or WinXP (though a lot
of Linux purists find this more annoying).  Also Xandros Forums is one
of the better discussion groups for installation help and configuration
of all things Xandros, and for Debian Linux in general.

Another alternative is KUbuntu (not the live CD, but harddisk install).
It doesn't have the same level of polish, hardware detection, and GUI
admin apps as Xandros, but gives you a "purer" form of Debian install.

The biggest advantages to either of these, is that the packages that
come with the distros are already configured to be run.  With vanilla
Debian, you will have to decide all of the functionality you want, and
peruse a huge list of packages yourself, and take extra time to setup
each one -- a daunting task even for the most seasoned admins.  Let
a major distro's team figure this out and test it for you.

> I've never been to an Installfest myself, but I bet they're really
> helpful.  People always rave about them.  If you want some guidance
> during the installation, cart your box over to the next Installfest
> and the folks there will be happy to help out.

I ditto that!  The next installfest appears to be in June -- so it is
soon!

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA