[TriLUG] Network Recommendation Question

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed May 25 15:08:49 EDT 2005

> So I'm moving into a new house and I want to put my desktop Gentoo
> system in a location that is going to be far from the cable modem.

If I read this correctly, your room-mate has a wireless access point
near where the cable modem is.  And you want to access the internet
using a wireless connection to his access point.  Right?

You can get a "wireless bridge" (which is also known as a "wireless
gaming adaptor").  It is basically an access point client.  I use
an older D-Link DWL-810, but I have also played with the Linksys
WGA54G.

These things are really nice, because you do all of the configuration
from a web interface.  And then you just plug your PC into the
ethernet jack on the box.  No drivers, no mess.

Alan

.