[TriLUG] Bind Question

Nick trilug at dogstar1.com
Wed May 25 22:18:36 EDT 2005

Thanks for all of the replies!

Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

>Nick trilug wrote:
>
> Well this domain certainly has a problem... where shall we begin?
>
>A whois lookup of the domain results in 3 DNS servers theoretically
>configured for this domain, which are as follows:
>MELPOMENE.OUP-USA.ORG
>DNS0.HK.HUB.OUP.COM
>DNS1.UK.HUB.OUP.COM
>

><snip> melpomene.oup-usa.org is the only server we get a
>glue record for, and it doesn't respond at all.  dns1.uk.hub.oup.com
>doesn't believe it's authoratative for sedrasmith.org, and doesn't have
>any information about it, so it refers us back to the root servers, and
>dns2.hk.hub.oup.com doesn't even resolve.  I considered that the hk in
>that domain name *might* be a typo (although it makes logical sense as
>united kingdom and hong kong), and tried it as dns2.uk.hub.oup.com which
>does resolve, but does not respond.

All correct. I have inherited the responsibility for the US domain
server (yikes). We should be the authoritative record for sedrasmith.org
with the other DNS servers acting as slaves. Nothing that I am aware of
has changed on this box. What adds to my confusion is that oup-usa.org
returns a result just fine. We are also the authoritative record for
this domain. So what would cause the server to respond to one request
but not another? See output below.

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> oup-usa.org
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;oup-usa.org.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
oup-usa.org.            3600    IN      A       12.107.205.25

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
oup-usa.org.            3600    IN      NS      dns0.hk.hub.oup.com.
oup-usa.org.            3600    IN      NS      dns0.uk.hub.oup.com.
oup-usa.org.            3600    IN      NS      melpomene.oup-usa.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
dns0.uk.hub.oup.com.    114896  IN      A       193.63.239.163
melpomene.oup-usa.org.  146497  IN      A       12.107.205.10

;; Query time: 208 msec
;; SERVER: 207.217.126.81#53(207.217.126.81)
;; WHEN: Wed May 25 22:05:27 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 156